Biodata of Loo Foh Sang & Interview/Answer

Biodata of Loo Foh Sang & Interview/Answer

 

Loo Foh Sang was born in 1944 in Kuantan, Pahang. He studied at Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts, Singapore in 1963 till 1965. He furthered his studies at the Ecole National Superieure des Beaux Arts (1966-1969). After graduation, Loo remained in Paris and was accepted to understudy printmaking under the tutelage of Stanley William Hayter, the English printmaker and painter who founded Atelier 17, widely known as the most influential print workshop of the 20th century(1967-1971). He devoted to the art of printmaking after completion studies at Atelier 17 and lived in Paris for 25 years.

 

He returned to Malaysia in 1988 to promote the art of printmaking. He was the lecturer of printmaking (1989-1990), and the Head of Printmaking Department (1991-1993) in Malaysian Institute of Art, Kuala Lumpur. He was also the Head of the Fine Art Department of Central Academy of Art, Kuala Lumpur (1994-2002) and has set up a printmaking studio for this academy.

 

Starting from 1996, he organised the 1st, 2nd & 3rd International Annual Printmaking Exhibition at Central Art Gallery in Kuala Lumpur. This exhibition developed into the Annual Exhibition of International Contemporary Prints, which collected 400 donations of valuable art prints from artist all around the world for the Printmaking Research Centre (CAA) in his lead.

 

He was also in the jury panel of the 3rd International Triennial of Graphic Arts, Bitola, Macedonia in year 2000 and at the same time received an honourable award and became "In House Artist" for Romania Art Museum. In year 2009, he received Asia-Pasific Art Gold Award and Global Gold Brand Award in 2010.

 

At present, he is a full-time artist and a prolific printmaker.

 

Did you discover the art of drawing as a child or while growing up?

 

Well there is an interesting story about this. When I was about 6 years old, a nurse came to my house for regular visit to my ill father. Since she saw me drawing on the house walls with charcoal, she predicted to my mother that I could be a successful artist one day. I drew on every surface that I could find and my mother didn't seem to mind. No one gave much attention on what the nurse said because in those days, it was not common for people to pursue art as a career.

 

I was good in Maths when I was in high school. At the age of 15, I was awarded a scholarship to study in Taiwan but my mother thought it was too soon for me to leave. I finished my high school and ended up studying art at the Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts in Singapore (1963-1965).

 

After my graduation in 1966, I held my first exhibition in my hometown and sold 60 out of the 100 artworks on display. I do appreciate the support from my friends and family who brought me to success on my fresh graduate art exhibition. The money that I earned from my first exhibiton was enough to pay my flight to Paris and my first 6 months of living expenses. My further studies in Paris gave a new life chapter.

 

What feelings conquered you when you leave everything behind to devote to your Art?

 

It's all about love. My passion for art, and the love for my wife.

 

I have 9 brothers and sisters. Since I am the youngest in the family, I was quite lucky and have the freedom to choose my path that I passionate. Besides, my girlfriend's (now my wife) furthered her studies in France also motivates me to follow her to the country 6 months later.

 

I never really thought what an artist will turn out to be but my objective is clear. I wanted to be inspired, to learn and develop my skills and become an avant-garde artist. When I reached Paris, I didn't even know a word of French. In order to survive and study, I took express language class to learn French. Then, I was qualified to enroll myself to the University. I learned printmaking in the morning, rushed to attend art class at L'Ecole in the afternoon and earned my living as a waiter at a Chinese restaurant in the evening. Life at that time is busy and difficult but it was the passion and the love that helped me to overcome all the hardship.

My determination and hardwork are not wasted. I am proudly to say that at this present moment, Art means everything to my life, my love, my living, my passion.

 

 

How valuable is expression through Art in our life?

 

If you look into the Zen point of view, Art is a kind of meditation practise. It gives you inner peace by focusing on your thoughts, your feelings and your work creation. When you practice art, you will start to observe life, self reflection and be more aware of your mind. It will slowly become a habit and you will be able to find joy in the little things that surrounds you. Through practise art to find your inner peace, you will embrace your life with appreciation, honesty, creativity, and enthusiasm.



What does someone win and what does he lose when he decides totally involves professionally with drawing?

 

In my point of view, Art gives me abundance than losing. From the process till completion, when I see my own art creation, I feel a sense of accomplishment, it's a feeling which is out of word to express. To become an artist who able to become who you really are and chasing your won dream is  a greatest blessing.

 

On the hand, speaking of “losing”, I believe that to become a professional artist, a person has to face the brutal difference between dreams and reality, most of the time is the source of income. An artist has to put a lot of effort and time to organise themselves. If an artist unable to juggle between their own economy well being and their own dreams, they will losing it and fall into living difficulties.

 

 

Which are the special details of traditional Asian art compared to other cultures art?

 

Most of the South East Asia Arts you can see today are Nanyang style, it is mainly about villages, lifestyle and activities from different cultures, wildlife, sub-tropical and sea-side scenery. The Nanyang Art concept is mainly focus on describing the Nanyang lifestyle, culture, tradition and nature appreciation which are peace, simple and relaxation. It has become an inspiration to the local artists in presenting their art.

 

 

You are known as “The Father of Malaysia Printmaking”. How do you think popularity and social acknowledgement affect an artist’s point of view?

 

Well, title or recognition doesn't not really matter to me or affect my original point of view of Art. I never thought about being popular and gain social acknowledgement. However, I am truly grateful for those who appreciate my art.What do really matters to me is to dedicate back to my country and the societies. It has become a life mission and I never have a thought about quitting or retire.

 

I returned to Malaysia in 1988 just to promote printmaking technique to public through art exhibitions and education. It does helps to raise the awareness of this amazing art techique and incorporate into Malaysian Art. I am very grateful that over the past 30 years, there are people shows their support of my effort in promoting the art of printmaking. I am also happy that more and more people are starting to like and appreciate this kind of art.

 

 

 

What messages do you try to transmit through to your painting?

 

My art is inspired by “Life”.

What do you mean by the “Life”? It means everything around us are full of life, the nature of liveliness will become the source of inspiration. I would love to present the “liveliness” on every of my art subjects including flora and fauna, scenaries, human character and cultures.

 

 

Do we understand the same things when concentrating on a painting? Or do you think that each person “sees” what his emotional intelligence orders?

 

Art is broad and subtle; it has no absolute defination when it comes to appreciation. Everyone has different perspective when looking at the same piece of art since each person has different living background. It's an individual preference and freedom on how to interprete and appreciate or feel.

 

 

What would life be without Art?

 

Without art, life would simply become plain, boring and lifeless. Maybe we end up busy earning money and doing trivial things in life.

 

 

If you were to dedicate a painting to God as reward for every beauty of life, what theme and colors would you choose to use?

 

To praise God, my concept will focus on splendor and bright theme. I would prefer Yellow because it represents “Light” and “Hope”. Oil will become my medium because it ables to express directly to the viewer and I believe that it will be a spectacular!

 

 

 


Comments

Popular Posts